Monday, June 25, 2012

not one, but TWO fiery displays

We had quite the farewell last summer, the evening before Josephine and I headed back home to Texas.  When we made our travel plans, we chose to fly back at the latest possible time: one month shy of Clement's due date.  The Fourth of July was not exactly a factor in our considerations.

But lo and behold, as we took a walk down to Astoria Park that evening, we came upon the makings of a well attended, very elaborate Independence Day celebration.  (No idea why they were holding it nine days early.)  




The sun was still up, so we debated the logic of hanging around long enough for it to get dark, or else heading home and going to bed at the proper time so Josephine would be well rested for travel the next day.
Spontaneity won out.  The idea of Josephine's first fireworks display being in Astoria, the night before we left, was just too romantic.  We couldn't have planned or asked for a more convenient arrangement.



A band and performances by United We Sing kept her enthralled for a good while, followed by lots of daddy-daughter play time...





How about that sunset?!  The fireworks were good, too.  Wish we'd had more than just Sean's iphone with us; it can't do the images justice, but at least it's something.




Josephine had fairly mixed feelings about the fireworks.  I'd warned her they would be loud, but she was ready to go home with the first boom.  (As I recall, Clement was also extremely responsive to all the racket!)  In the end, we moved up the hill further, away from the noise echoing off the river, I suggested she put her fingers in her ears, and we tried to enjoy them.  The real lifesaver was a sweet boy who started sharing his glow bracelets with her.  We were all touched by his generosity.  On the way home she even said something like, "He didn't mind that I didn't like the fireworks!  He still liked me." It was the sweetest insight; I think she might have actually fallen in love.  :-)

I fell in love, too, when I realized what a GREAT distraction they were on the airplane the next day!  


adios, Astoria.  Let's go have a baby.

No comments: