Saturday, July 21, 2012

well, Janell won that one.

I mentioned in a recent post that the race was on to see if Janell or Junior would have the next birthday. That statement, along with my prior conviction that this boy was most likely going to come earlier than Josephine did... in addition to me calling Sean home early... all thoroughly jinxed the whole notion of an early arrival, of course.  My due date is Thursday, but the chances of him coming before then are slim, according to the midwife I saw yesterday.
I was two cm dilated at 37 weeks, but not effaced, nor was the baby low and engaged.  As of yesterday (my 39.1 week appt), nothing has changed about that business.  I was pretty surprised to hear that, considering how strong some of my Braxton Hicks are getting.  Lately, every other day seems marked by intense contractions, so I thought SURELY they were doing SOMETHING.  I was pretty crushed to hear how nonproductive all that has been!
Of course, on the bright side, the contractions are getting really nice and strong, so I can choose to view it as some sort of uterine fitness training regime.  One day of relative rest.  One day of intense bouts of weight training.  One day rest.  One day of paced heavy lifting.  One day of rest.  Another day of hourly bouts of strength building.  Etc.  So perhaps by show time it'll be nice and strong and ready to go!

I just don't really understand why all the contracting isn't opening stuff up.  So I looked into early labor hormones.  I'm wondering if taking zinc with my daily vitamins is affecting my progesterone levels, which need to drop in order to go into labor.  So I think as of tomorrow, I'll drop the zinc.  I take it for immune system support, but I'd rather catch a cold than deliver a 10 pound baby two weeks late.  So bye-bye zinc!
(I know, I'm an idiot.  Still trying to control things.  I can see God sitting there shaking his head.  He has the same look on his face that Sean and I exchange when watching Josephine and her little OCD tendencies.)

Meanwhile, bags are packed, half are loaded in the trunk, and Junior's little living space is all set up and ready to roll!  (Yeah, he's sleeping on the window seat.  Josephine still occupies the crib in her room, with one wall off to look like a toddler bed.  Once we come back from NY, she'll have her little IKEA bed and then the baby can have the proper crib.)


It's also occurred to me that the baby isn't coming out because he's not happy with any of the names on our little list!  :-[  So I keep watching for new names (despite the fact that I think I've read and considered every name ever given to a male).  If he's wanting something special in that department, he'd better get some loud and clear hints dropped our way very soon!

Okay, just wanted to post an update, and that's pretty much all.
Do say a prayer for renewed resolve on my behalf when it comes to carbs.  I've been swimming and walking in the evenings, but probably not enough to combat the weary, burned-out-on-pregnancy, self-comforting caloric intake.  But it doesn't appear that he's coming tomorrow, so I need to refocus.  Must stay strong for this last stretch!!!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

P.S. Josephine says he's not coming out because he's waiting for me to finish the kitchen cabinets.
Sigh.

Learning said...

You can do it, Jenny! It's almost over!

Kristi said...

Hang in their friend!!! If it helps, I hear that 2nd babies come faster once they decide it is time. This was true for me...I had an appt that afternoon and nothing, by 7:30pm my water broke, went to hospital at 10:30 (only 2 cm dialated), she was in my arms at 1:30am!! He will come when he's ready. Try to plan something special with Josephine everyday, I don't know. Nobody has ever stayed pregnant forever, so he will come out eventually. :-)

Kristi said...

sorry in the first sentence their should be there

Jenny said...

Kristi, that's definitely an encouraging second birth story! From two cm to done in 4 hours! wowsers!!
Go you-- it had to have been pretty intense!

I like the plan of doing something special with Josephine every day. Tonight we took her canoeing and that was fun. Definitely a good way to get our minds off the baby!