Friday, March 11, 2011

Hey, Josephine...

... what's that???(at the time of questioning, it was just the triangle on the left with the three bricks in a row) and she said, "tchtchtch ... CHOO CHOOOOOOOO!!!!" Which made me smile, and I said, "Train? Choo choo?" And she was clearly VERY pleased with herself. I asked if she wanted me to take a picture of it, which she did. Hence her addition above and her carrying it below. She just got very excited about the attention it was getting.
That was this morning.
Back in Atlanta we had the first of this kind of exchange. She was coloring on a blank piece of paper, and for kicks I acted curious and said, "What is that?" .. I wasn't expecting an answer. But she looked at it, thought about it, and said very definitively, "Girl." (I had to play it cool, even though I got a total charge out of her responding like that.) So I looked casually at the two brown lines, and I said, "Oh, I see. Does she need hair?" And Josephine seemed keen on that, so the drawing became THREE brown lines, followed by a VERY proud expression on her 22 month old face. I said, "Great hair! What about arms?" And she looked excited and colored vigorously side to side. Et cetera.
Looking at the picture above you can tell we went on for quite a while! It was just cute that she seemed so intentional about what she was coloring. I'm loving her imagination-- but in various ways it's been evident that she's always had one of those. So mostly, I guess I'm loving that we're having a conversation about it-- that I'm now being allowed into her imagination.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

That's pretty awesome that you're talking with her about her pictures and labeling them. That's what they start out doing in kindergarten. So, you're giving her a head start in forming stories and associating them with words. She'll be ready to read! Okay, teacher moment over.

Jenny said...

:-) that's funny-- I hadn't thought of that. But obviously being a school teacher you would be aware of those kinds of milestones. It's like when Nikki visited and being a physical therapist, she kept checking Josephine's fine and gross motor skills. It's always very soothing to hear from experts that things are going how they should!

Zanna Grace said...

I'm loving this stage too!!! What imaginations these girls have!