Here we are on day 8, been doing this quite successfully for what feels like a good while now, and suddenly this morning I've had to change her pants THREE times. :-/ What a blow! Especially following this weekend! Yesterday we went to church and out to eat (she used the public adult toilets six times in that process, without any complaint-- huge relief), and last night she stayed dry again-- even though I only woke up once to take her at 6:40!! So man, when I woke up this morning I was thinking, "We've got this thing nailed!" And I got to enjoy that thought for, oh, about an hour. Then the accidents began.
She's still gotten to the potty successfully at other times this morning, but it's obviously less on her mind. It's less on mine too-- I've done terribly with reminding her, I kept refilling her water bottle without any consideration for how much she'd had, and she hasn't gotten a reward since Saturday morning. (Her chart wouldn't stick back on the wall after we pulled it down for Sean to take with them to San Antonio, and both of us were happy to hide the fruit snacks, just to get that extra sugar out of her system. I was happy to think that maybe those things just weren't needed any more, selfishly trying to streamline the process.)
So I'm feeling pretty guilty and irresponsible. I've grown tired of the whole thing, even though I'm happy with how it's gone; it's just that the enthusiasm is getting kind of hard to feign. But clearly she was being motivated by my involvement (reminders, praise, encouragement, rewards), and me backing out altogether is dumb. So she's napping now, which means I have about an hour left to get that chart back up, rev up my focus, and find my game face again...
2 comments:
Oh goodness, Jenny. Good luck with the post-nap efforts! I wonder how long the rewards have to go on.
Elsa was in underwear this morning because she requested them, but she did not go AT ALL from between 7:30-ish and 1:30-ish. And, yes, she was drinking, though maybe not a ton (which is normal for her). I think I hear her waking, and am about to go in to see if her diaper is dry. I think I might be slightly worried if it is, even though she has been staying dry during naps for days now.
But then a diaper is going on and we're going to the park to enjoy the sunshine and warmer temps, so I'm probably just totally screwing with the poor child's mind.
Based off what your friend Stephen said on Facebook it sounds like a more gradual approach works perfectly well! It might really build up her confidence and help her enjoy it more. I hope it works for you and is a less stressful way to go! I don't think you're screwing with her mind! :-) I think you're adapting the process to what works for y'all right now which is a parent's JOB.
So Josephine woke up wet from her nap, unsurprisingly based off how this morning went. I gave her a bath, changed out the sheets, showed her where the chart is hung (now in the living room so as to be a visual reminder) and have tried to really pep things up again. She did seem seriously concerned about the bed and her clothes being yucky, and we've stayed dry so far, with two successful potty runs. I'm just going to stay more on top of it and be more consistent in the rewards so that, hopefully, a full blown regression doesn't sink in! Too much invested at this point! I cringe just thinking about it...
Post a Comment