Sunday, December 13, 2009

What fine musculature!!!

Unless you can count tooth growing, Josephine's physical accomplishments have been pretty... ummmm... true to her genetic limitations, shall we say. When her pediatrician asked us at her 6 month appointment whether Josephine had started crawling or pulling up on things, we just laughed-- the way I laugh when people who don't know me invite me to train with them for things like half marathons. That's hysterical-- you must be kidding! And insane. But I'm happy for you; have a great time with that!

Not that we've been bothered by her lack of physical prowess, because if you've been in our house, you understand that we are NOT ready for her to be testing the boundaries of things like electrical sockets.

Regardless of that, my heart did get all flippity floppity to watch her tonight as she turned a new leaf. Josephine now sits herself up! I am not ready for her to be anything other than a baby, but I got a little proud and giddy, nonetheless.

She actually did it for the first time last Monday, with Sean as her witness, but we've yet to see her sit herself up since. Until tonight, when she mastered it and did it repeatedly. Of course I ran to get my camera.


This all happened right after I put on her disposable (we don't attempt cloth at night-- I have a possibly irrational fear that it will result in night after night of leaks, meaning more work in the form of extra laundry, sheet changing, dealing with a crying baby in the middle of the night because she's cold and wet, etc. Not that I never will brave it, but so far I haven't. I value sleep a LOT).

Anyway, this brief interlude between the application of disposable diaper and pajamas is invigorating for Josephine. It's when she tries all her stunts. Either she's trying to keep moving to ward off frostbite, or she senses the lack of extra weight/restriction and figures if she's going to succeed at the triple lutz jump, now's her chance.

Tonight's interlude was less brief because we were as amused as she was with her new found ability. So as she did all her sitting up and stuff, and I recorded her, she got braver (or bored) and went for her books. Which resulted in me getting footage of her BEST attempt ever at crawling.
In other words, she went forward.
That's astounding for a child who has previously been limited to backwards or sideways. She's made efforts at getting on her hands and knees and then lunging forward at things, but this was her finest effort at sustained forward motion.

And while I know she's nearly 8.5 months, and I should probably permit her to mature and develop in this way, it sort of freaked me out. So I turned off the camera, told her to stop that immediately, zipped up those pjs tight, and sent her to bed. Sitting up is one thing; asking if she's old enough to start shaving her legs is another.

7 comments:

deliciousmelissa said...

OH MY GOOOOOSH! I knew she looked like she was plotting to grow up today when I saw her at Mosaic tonight! I should have had that talk with her after all... WOW!! I'm so impressed with you Josephine! Now, just take it easy for your parent's sake, they can't handle too much all at once. WOW. So amazing!

Christi said...

Watch out -- she's on the move now! Yay for Josephine! Those clips are SO cute. I really can't bear being so far away from you guys.

Oh -- and I totally have the same irrational fear. Elsa has been in a disposable at night EVERY night since birth. At this point I figure, why mess up a good thing?

Zanna Grace said...

WOW!! :) You are going to cherish that video forever!! Just wait, the crawling monster inside of her is just waiting to come out :) And, don't worry, baby proofing comes in stages, for sure! Miss ya'll!! Playdate soon?

Wendy said...

Hee hee! She is so cute! Looks as if you are DAYS away from the big milestone of mobility. And then, LOOK OUT! Those books will never be the same! :)

Shelly said...

That first video is the sweetest thing!!! She is so happy with herself! Yay Josephine!

And, yeah, Christian wears disposables at night too. His cloth diapers tend to leak during his pitiful little hour-long naps, so there is no way I'm trying them at night! I call that a rational fear!

Angela said...

wow, she knows exactly what to do!!! She is precious- great videos!

Kristi Marriott said...

I have been terrible about checking your blog... but Joel is taking a long nap today, so I had some extra time. Your little Josephine is absolutely adorable!!! Joel didn't walk until he was 14.5 months old, but that hasn't slowed him down at all. Now that he is 16 months, almost running, he gets wherever he needs to go and if he can't get their alone he finds me and signs/says "help me". I love how Josephine was so proud of herself for her success! She seems to be a wonderful little girl.

Kristi :-)