Tuesday, December 23, 2008

'Tis the Season [of Mooching]

Ah, the splendid time of year when we don't have to cook, do dishes, run our own heater, or attend to any responsibilities at all. Yes, we love Christmas. Nothing finer in life than kicking back at the cozy homes of our parents, being surrounded by the people who are required to love us despite everything, and celebrating a savior who also has this obligatory, unconditional love thing going on. It's just a blissful, happy time. (And we're deeply grateful that we can say that-- I'm not assuming it is such for everyone).

This year especially, we're soaking it in-- keenly aware of the fact that next Christmas will involve l'enfant. There will be little to no attention for Sean and I, and instead of the carefree lounging, I expect we'll be preoccupied with a subtle, endless anxiety over her behavior and needs. This is our last season of true mooching as we have known it to-date. Such bittersweet feelings.

To maximize the mooching potential of this final season of freedom, I'm not even relying on my own creativity for this post. That is what friends are for. Here are a few bits of seasonal beauty:

A version of this was on the Whaley's blog. I understand it was a bit of a viral video last year, so you may have seen it-- but I hadn't. Got a kick out of it. Watch Straight No Chaser's rendition of the Twelve Days of Christmas.

My friend Stacey's entire Christmas post is also worth referencing. The baby bear video is adorable-- but make sure you watch the 5 worst local TV Christmas commercials. Hilarious.

From our family to yours, Merry Christmas and
Happy Mooching.

No comments: